- Represented Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) in the sale of its Mascot Remanufacturing Operations
- Represented retail electric providers in strategic acquisition of assets of other REPs
- Represented commercial refrigeration company in the sale of its assets to a private equity fund
- Represented chemical company in the sale of its assets
- Represented buyer in cross-border acquisition of assets of UK and US affiliated companies
- Represented buyer in cross-border acquisition of a Canadian company
- Represented principals of a steel fabrication company in the sale of stock
- Represented pipeline service company in acquisitions of competitor pipeline service companies
- Represented oilfield services company in sale of stock
- Represented Australian oil company in a reverse triangular merger of a U.S. publicly traded oil and gas company
- Represented buyer in the purchase of offshore drilling rigs
- Represented pipeline services company in sale of stock
- Represented technology company in the acquisition of the equity interests of four internet/technology companies and domain name portfolios
- Represented company in the sale of patents and technology assets
- Represented foreign investor, through its U.S. subsidiary, in a $1.4 billion deal with Anadarko Petroleum Corp. to jointly explore for and develop natural gas in the Marcellus Shale Formation.
- Represented oil and gas company in connection with arrangements for $3.95 billion in financing, including the expansion of its commercial paper program to a $2.95 billion aggregate principal amount as well as a $1 billion, 364-day revolving credit facility
- Represented independent oil and gas company in securing $200 million credit facility
- Represented independent oil and gas company in securing $50 million credit facility
- Represented a publicly-traded issuer in $130 million private placement of debt securities
- Represented issuer in securing a $20 million bridge facility
- Represented underwriter in issuance of $100 million senior secured notes
- Represented energy company in the exchange of $775 million in senior notes, for a like principal amount of registered senior notes
- Represented pipeline company in the issuance of $95 million senior secured notes
Marlen D. Whitley
Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Finance & Securities Compliance
Marlen’s practice helps strengthen Townsend Lockett’s overall business transactions capabilities and serves as Managing Partner of the Townsend & Lockett Los Angeles office. Marlen’s practice focuses on securities law compliance, corporate finance, private equity, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and general contract law.
Prior to joining Townsend Lockett, Marlen served as a Senior Attorney for USAA where he advised USAA’s Board of Directors and internal company and staff agencies and working groups on corporate governance matters. Before his work at USAA, Marlen served as Senior Counsel at Ghost Management Group, LLC, dba Weedmaps where he focused primarily on the company’s securities law compliance, co-lead corporate financings and capital raises, supported business operations, including advising on compliance related matters domestically and internationally and negotiate commercial agreements with company vendors and strategic partners. Prior to Weedmaps, Marlen was partner at each of Reed Smith, LLP and Thompson & Knight, LLP. At both international law firms, his practice focused on M&A, securities, corporate finance, corporate governance and general corporate work. He served as the hiring partner at both firms, and also served as Reed Smith’s first Executive Director of Diversity Recruiting where he lead the firm in its recruitment of diverse lateral partners and associates.
Marlen has been recognized by The Legal 500 – U.S. for Capital Markets: Equity Offerings – advice to Issuers and Managers, Texas Super Lawyers 2015- 2018; and as a Texas Rising Star Lawyer, 2004, 2008-2014.
- Texas Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law
- B.A.., African & African American Studies, The University of Texas at Austin (Dean’s Distinguished Graduate of the College of Liberal Arts)
- Advisory Council for the University of Texas at Austin’s Division for Diversity and Community Engagement.
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow (Inaugural 2011 Class)
- The University of Texas Law School Alumni Association Executive Committee
- The University of Texas Development Board of Directors
- The University of Texas at Austin Commission of 125 Board.
- USAA, 2019-2021
- Ghost Management Group, LLC 2018-2019
- Reed Smith, LLP, 2013-2018
- Thompson & Knight, LLP, 2006-2013
- Chamberlain Hrdlicka, 2004-2006
- Clark, Thomas & Winters, P.C., 2001-2004
Excellent firms don’t believe in excellence – only in constant improvement and constant change.Tom Peters