Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law
Tennell is the firm’s Managing Partner and focuses his practice on patent, trademark and copyright matters, including all aspects of complex intellectual property litigation and intellectual property and technology licensing and transactions. Tennell also has significant experience securing, protecting and enforcing trademark and service mark rights and registrations for clients of varying industry and portfolio complexity. Tennell has handled numerous IP administrative matters, including TTAB proceedings and domain name and Internet matters.
Prior to forming Townsend & Lockett, LLC, Tennell practiced law at Alston & Bird, LLP in its Intellectual Property group. While there, Tennell serviced both large and small clients in complex patent infringement cases, ranging from representations of Fortune 500 and Fortune Global 500 companies to sole inventors. Tennell also gained years of trademark experience, managing large trademark portfolios for numerous companies with nationally- and internationally-recognized trade and service marks. Tennell’s litigation expertise includes considerable trial experience, including multiple successful patent trials in front of the International Trade Commission.
Tennell has been published in Alston & Bird’s Federal Circuit Annual Review (Aspen Publishers) and the IP Links, the official newsletter for the North Carolina Bar Association’s Intellectual Property Law Section and has previously been admitted pro hac vice to the State Bars of Alabama, New Jersey, Texas and South Carolina. Tennell currently sits on the Board of Directors for the Georgia Legal Services Program.
Be genuine. Be remarkable. Be worth connecting with.Seth Godin
- Akamai Technologies, Inc., et al. v. Limelight Networks, Inc., Case No. 2009-1372, -1380, -1416, -1417 (Fed. Cir.) (patent appeal representing Amici Curiae)
- Draft product development agreement and EHR Software License Agreement for national electronic health record service provider
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation v. Cisco Systems, Inc., Case No. 2015-1066 (Fed. Cir.) (patent appeal representing Amici Curiae)
- MiMedx Group, Inc. v. Liventa Bioscience, Inc. et al., Case No. 1:14-cv-01178-MHC (U.S.D.C. Northern Dist. Georgia) (patent litigation)
- TPI Holdings, Inc. et al v. B2Betrader LLC, Case No. 1:12-cv-01584-RLV (U.S.D.C. Northern Dist. Georgia) (trademark and Lanham Act case)
- In re Certain 3G Mobile Handsets and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-613 (Int’l Trade Commission) (ITC patent litigation)
- Board Member, Georgia Legal Services Program Board of Directors
- President, Kiwanis Club of Northside Atlanta
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms, IP Programs Chair
- Member, Atlanta IP Inn of Court – Barrister
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association (Intellectual Property Section)
- Volunteer, Hillside Children Center Inpatient Birthday Cake Program
- Youth Leader, Bethel Family Church (2003-2015)
Alston & Bird, LLP, 2001-2010