- Represented 20 of 24 Maryland school districts in various labor & employment matters before State and Federal Courts
- Represented 20 of 24 Maryland school districts in administrative tribunals
- Counseled public and private sector clients on best practices for employee manuals and ongoing training for employees
- Counseled public and private sector clients on their obligations under federal Civil Rights statutes, including but not limited to Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Equal Access Act, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Labor & Employment Counsel & Litigation
Shani is an experienced labor & employment litigator who has handled complex matters for both public and private sector clients. Ms. Whisonant assists both nascent businesses and large corporations in navigating the sometimes-tricky realm of labor and employment law. In addition to counseling clients on best practices for proactive labor practices, Shani has significant trial experience in administrative tribunals, arbitration proceedings, and state and federal civil courts. Shani has also counseled executive employees as they prepare to enter into and exit from executive employment.
Shani focuses on providing expert legal guidance to her executive and corporate clients. Whether it’s helping to draft an employee manual or preparing for complex litigation, she stands at the ready to assist clients with their pressing labor and employment needs.
In addition to being an effective litigator and advocate, Ms. Whisonant is a teacher; she believes that, with proper education, corporate and public sector clients can substantially mitigate their litigation exposure. To that end, at the request of clients, Ms. Whisonant has offered training to various public and private sector clients on best practices for employee discipline and other employment matters. She also served as an adjunct professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Education. Pertinent topics covered included Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and the Equal Access Act, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Shani believes that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. While she stands ready to zealously assist clients with any and every labor & employment litigation issue that might come to them, her goal is to help clients avoid costly, protracted litigation to the extent possible.
Always leave people better than you found them.Dr. Henry Cloud
- Prince George’s County Public Schools, 2013-2022
- Pessin Katz Law, P.A., 2007-2013